Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
1 cup sweet potatoes - diced into small cubes
1 medium onion finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves crushed
1 chilli pepper finely chopped (optional)
1 spring onion finely sliced
1 can plum tomatoes
Bacon - diced into small pieces (can substitute with chicken or turkey bacon)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp white pepper
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
goat cheese (feta cheese works fine)
- Heat your oven to 220 degrees C.
- Mix all spice ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- Melt butter in a large oven proof pan and add sweet potatoes. Sauté for 5 min before adding onion and bacon. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for another 5 min over medium heat.
- Add crushed garlic, chilli pepper, spring onion, and half of your spice mix. Mix together and cook for another 2 min.
- Add vinegar, tomatoes, and the rest of the spice mix. Add a little water to the tomato can and rinse out whatever tomato is left inside. Pour this into your pan. Cover your pan and let simmer for 7-10 - stirring occasionally.
- Using a wooden spoon, create a small well/hole in your sauce. Carefully crack your egg into the well you've created. Take care not to break your egg yolk. Repeat this process for your remaining eggs.
- Crumble your goat cheese and spread it across the non-eggy parts your pan.
- Carefully place your pan into the oven and let cook for 8-10 min. The egg whites should be just cooked (firm to the touch).
- Remember to use a kitchen mitten when removing the pan from the oven.