Eggs poached in sweet potato and black bean
½ medium sweet potato - cubed
2 small yellow onions - chopped
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 yellow sweet pepper - chopped
200 grams crushed tomatoes
400 grams cooked black beans
2-3 tbsp. harissa (depending on how much heat you prefer)
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. brown sugar
salt to taste
50 grams butter
1. Preheat oven to 225°C.
2. In a heavy base pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sweet potato and onion and fry for 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and yellow pepper, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. The potatoes and onions should start to look golden brown and softened.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, black beans, harissa, white/black pepper, onion powder, paprika, and brown sugar. Cook for approx. 5-8 minutes.
4. Using the back of a large spoon, create four “wells” in your sauce and break an egg into each. Take care not to break the yolk - however, no harm done if it does break :)
5. Place pan in oven and bake for approx. 8-10 minutes.
6. Garnish with your preferred herb (parsley, coriander etc.) and serve!