Rooibos Tea Pancaokes
- 1 cup white flour + 1/5 wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground vanilla
- 1 tsp. finely ground black cardamom
- 2 Tbsps. granulated brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 300 ml Milk
- 2 heaped tbsp. Rooibos tea
- 2 tbsp. butter (melted)
- Coconut oil for frying (or butter)
1. Pour milk and rooibos tea into a small pot. Bring to a gentle simmer over low-medium heat whilst stirring continuously. Once milk has reached 36 °C (around body temperature), remove from heat source and set aside. Continue to stir occasionally, until the milk is an almond color. Once the milk is completely cool, strain to separate the tea leaves from the milk. Depending on the type of filter used, some rooibos tea may remain in the milk. That’s okay.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, vanilla, salt, sugar, and cardamom. Combine thoroughly with a spatula.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and melted butter. NB: Allow the melted butter to cool down before adding to the mixture to prevent it from cooking the egg yolks.
4. Gradually add the wet mixture into the flour bowl and stir until just combined. Do not stir for too long.
5. Heat your frying pan over medium heat. When you’re ready to fry your pancakes, quickly whisk the egg whites (approx. 30 sec.), and stir into pancake batter. Stir until just combined. Do not stir for too long.
6. Fry pancakes (approx. 1-2 min. per side) and serve with desired topping (e.g. honey, fresh berries, melted butter).