Rooibos Tea Carrot Cake
Rooibos Carrot Cake
Rooibos tea bags x 2
100ml boiling water
6 dl (~ 2 ½ cups) Wheat flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp grated or ground cinnamon (I prefer grated)
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 dl granulated brown sugar
1 dl dark muscovado sugar
4 medium eggs
250 ml vegetable oil (I used coconut oil melted to room temperature)
1 tbsp spiced rum (optional)
450g finely grated carrots
2 dl raisins
1 dl dried citrus fruit peel - finely chopped (optional)
Butter for oiling pan
Cream cheese frosting
240g cream cheese
50g melted butter
lemon rind grated from 1 medium sized lemon
3 tbsp creme fraiche
1 dl caster sugar
Chocolate shavings or,
1. Preheat oven to 200 𝇈C.
2. Pour boiling water of rooibos tea bags and set aside.
3. Lightly rub the inside of your pan with butter and then proceed to line with parchment paper (I used a round 22cm diameter pan).
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, grated cinnamon, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
5. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and muscovado sugar using an electronic hand mixer (about 30 seconds on medium speed). Add the vanilla essence, rum, brewed rooibos tea, coconut oil (or preferred vegetable oil), carrots, and dried fruit. MIx well with a spatula until combined.
6. Gradually and gently fold the dry flour mixture into the liquid mixture using a rubber spatula until no dry flour is visible. Take care not to over mix. Mix ingredients with spatula until just combined.
7. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Insert in oven and lower the temperature to 175 𝇈C. Bake for about 40-45 minutes (until a knife inserted into the bake comes out clean). Once baked, remove from oven and let cool on a kitchen counter (about 2 hours).
While cake is cooling prepare the icing;
Combine all icing ingredients in a bowl and blend using a hand mixer for 5 minutes on medium speed. Place in refrigerator and let stand for 1 hour.
Once cake is completely cool, apply icing evenly on cake and decorate/serve as desired.