Rooibos Carrot Cake
- Full chicken
- 50 ml Dijon Mustard (I used a honey flavored variety)
- 50 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- squeeze of lemon juice (½ small lemon)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepared chicken according to your desired preference; truss, splay, spatchcock etc. (I used the trussing method for my bird just because I like how it looks). Dry rub with generous amounts of salt and pepper.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk together until combined. Using a baking brush, marinade the chicken using the mustard mixture. Make sure that all surfaces are evenly covered. Place in a large bowl or similar container and cover using lid or cling film. Place container in refrigerator and let rest for at least 18 hours. While the chicken is marinating, check occasionally to ensure that all surfaces are evenly marinated. If needed, use pastry brush to “re-baste” the chicken.
3. 30-45 minutes prior to cooking, preheat oven to 200 °C. Place chicken is appropriately lined roasting pan and cooking 1½ hours. Turn the chicken over (If you have any leftover marinade, this is a good time to baste your chicken again). Return to oven and roast for an addition 1 - 1½ hours..