Savoury Spinach and Salmon Dutch Baby Pancake
2 medium eggs
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup milk
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp butter
1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
2 large yellow onions (thick slices)
8-10 large brown mushrooms (thick slices)
4 tbsp butter
150g Tofu (sliced lengthwise)
200g Smoked salmon (thinly sliced)
1 small eggplant (sliced lengthwise)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground white pepper (black pepper works fine)
1 tbsp brown sugar
Cocktail tomatoes (or Roma tomatoes) - quartered
1. Preheat oven to 215 degrees C (~420 F)
2. In a small bowl or cup, combine soy sauce, white (or black) pepper, and brown sugar. Stir vigorously until most of the sugar has dissolved (NB: it will not completely dissolve). Line a small rectangular baking pan with baking parchment.
3. Thinly slice the eggplant (lengthwise); approximately 4 slices in total. Lay eggplant slices on the lined baking pan. Using a pastry brush, brush the eggplants with generous amounts of the soy sauce mixture. Make sure to brush both sides. Roast in oven ~ 10 min. Flip eggplants and brush with soy sauce mix. Return to oven and roast for an additional 7-10 min (until golden). Once done, remove from the oven. Do not turn the oven off after cooking the eggplant slices.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sea salt, and dried thyme. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk (appr. 30 seconds). Gradually pour milk & egg mixture into the flour bowl, and mix until just combined.
5. In a large, heavy-base skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add finely chopped onion and fry for 5-7 minutes, stirring continuously. (Make sure your eggplant is now done cooking in the oven).
6. Turn off the heat (without removing the skillet pan) and pour pancake dough into the pan, over the fried onion. Sprinkle spinach on top. Place skillet pan into the oven and bake until golden brown (appr. 20 minutes).
7. Whilst the pancake is baking, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a separate pan (with a lid), and fry the tofu until golden on all sides (appr. 5 min). Remove from pan once complete and set aside, together with the eggplant.
8. Melt remaining butter in pan and add thick onion slices. I normally add fresh thyme as well when caramelizing onions, but that's completely optional. Caramelize your onions for about 10-12 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
Once your pancake is baked, remove from oven and top as desired with all the topping ingredients. . I garnished mine with fresh basil and coarse black pepper.
I am very proud of this recipe, and have made it several times since I first conceptualized it. The beauty of it is that you can essential customize it to whatever is available in your kitchen or is in season. Mushrooms are all the rage in Sweden during the start of the fall season.
See the results for yourself (below). Feel free to share your creative toppings on instagram.