Sweet Potato and Mussel Risotto
Rooibos Carrot Cake
- 350g Arborio rice
- 200g button mushrooms (or your mushrooms of choice)
- 450g blue mussels (shells removed)
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1½ cups diced sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 200 ml white wine (preferably dry)
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock (warm-hot)
- 150g grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil for frying
- Fresh parsley to serve
1. In a large pot, fry the shrimp and mushrooms until lightly caramelized (6-10 min). Remove from pot and set aside.
2. Using the same pot, fry the onion and sweet potato until soft and tender (5-7 min). Add the salt and pepper, garlic, onion powder, cumin, and dried parsley. Continue frying and stirring until combined and fragrant (30 sec).
3. Pour in the rice and cook, whilst stirring, until the rice starts to look translucent (5-8 min). Pour in the white wine and allow to cook, whilst stirring, until the wine has completely disappeared. Pour in vegetable stock into the pot - 1 cup at a time. Depending on the size of your pot, there should be enough stock to just cover the rice. Let simmer, while stirring frequently, until liquid stock is completely absorbed. Add 1 more cup of vegetable stock and repeat the process until all stock is used up and the rice is cooked al dente (should be cooked though but still have a bit of a bite to it). NB: When adding your last cup of stock, add the fried mushroom and mussels that you set aside earlier, together with the grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.